Introduction to IELTS™
The International English language Testing System (commonly referred as IELTS) is a test for measuring English Language proficiency of a person who intends to study or work where English is accepted as prime language of communication. The test is taken by potential university students, work or immigration aspirants, especially for countries such as Canada, Australia, New Zealand, UK and other developed nations.
Choosing the right type of IELTS test
There are two types of IELTS test
IELTS Academic | IELTS General Training
IELTS Academic test is applicable to candidates applying for higher education or professional registration in an English-speaking environment.
IELTS General Training test is for people who intends to take secondary education, work experience or training programs in English speaking countries. It is also one of the mandatory requirements for migration to Canada, Australia, New Zealand and UK.
Both versions provide an assessment of the four language skills: Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking.
Why uGenius Academy?
- Best Coaching by experienced faculty
- Excellent Infrastructure
- Result oriented approach
- Tips & tricks sharing by experts
- Mock test series
- Metro & bus accessibility
- Online option available – Study at your convenience
- Small batches for personalised attention
- Special weekend batches also available
Practice with online mock tests
Understanding the format of IELTS
IELTS (International English language Testing System) assesses candidate abilities in Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking on a nine-band scale to clearly identify levels of proficiency, from non-user (band score 1) through to expert (band score 9).
Total test time is 2hrs and 45 minutes
Candidate has a choice for opting either for Paper-based IELTS or Computer-based IELTS.
The Listening, Reading and Writing sections of all IELTS tests are completed sequentially (without any break) on the same day. Subsequently, Speaking section may be completed on the same day or later (within a week), as informed by the test centre.
Listening: Total duration is 40 minutes (Test is for 30 minutes plus 10 min for transferring the answers). It consists of four segments with ten questions each, worth one mark each. The questions are designed so that the answers appear in the order they are heard in the audio, which is played only once.
Reading: Total duration is 60 minutes. It consists of 40 questions, worth one mark each. These include reading for gist, reading for main ideas, reading for detail, skimming, understanding logical argument and recognizing writers’ opinions, attitudes and purpose.
Writing: Total duration is 60 minutes. It consists of two writing tasks (each of which requires different text types) and both must be completed.
Speaking: Duration is 11-14 minutes. It consists of face-to-face interaction (an oral interview) between the test taker and an examiner. During the interaction, structured in three sections, the examiner assesses candidate’s use and application of spoken English.
We help you attain the desired IELTS band
Reading IELTS Scale
|Non-User||Intermittent User||Extremely Limited User||Limited User||Modest User||Competent User||Good User||Very Good User||Expert User|
- Fee for IELTS: Registration fee for IELTS is INR 13,250 for IDP and INR12,650 for British Council.
- Process for registration: IELTS is conducted in India by IDP and British Council, for checking availability and test schedule refer their websites www.ieltsidpindia.com and www.britishcouncil.org, respectively.
- When will I get test results: Results of IELTS exam is available 13 days after completion of test.
- Validity of IELTS Exam: The score of IELTS exam is valid for 2 years.
- When is IELTS Test held: IELTS Test is held on specific days across the year, for details please refer to its official website www.ielts.org.
- Can I retake the IELTS Test: Yes, the test can be retaken any number to times but your score is unlikely to increase unless you make a significant effort to improve your English.